The scope of Horizon 2020 is broad, creating opportunities, but also creating complexity in terms of identifying which areas and calls within the areas may be suitable for a particular company.
There are two schemes most relevant to SMEsClick for description.
Within the main scheme, including Leadership in Enabling & Industrial Technologies and Societal Challenges, funding is available for projects which:
Create growth in sectors like:
- Information and communication technologies
- Advanced materials
- Advanced manufacturing
Respond to challenges like:
- Food security
- Energy efficiency
- Transport safety and efficiency
- Climate change and resource degradation
Specific areas that are excluded are:
- Human cloning
*Source: Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2016 – 2017. (European Commission Decision C(2016)4614 of 25 July 2016), available at European Commission Research & Innovation Participant Portal – Reference Documents: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/funding/reference_docs.html#h2020-work-programmes-2016-17.
Within the dedicated SME Instrument, whilst there are thematic calls, there is more flexibility in the scope of projects.
Project topic areas include:
- Open disruptive innovation
- Nanotechnologies, advanced materials, manufacturing and processing
- Space research and development
- Healthcare biotechnology
- ICT solutions for health, well-being and ageing
- Sustainable and competitive agriculture, forestry, agri-food and bio-based sectors
- Blue growth – marine and aquaculture industries
- Low carbon and efficient energy
- Transport and smart cities mobility
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- New business models for inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
- Security research and development
*Source: Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2016 – 2017. (European Commission Decision C(2016)4614 of 25 July 2016), available at European Commission Research & Innovation Participant Portal – Reference Documents: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/funding/reference_docs.html#h2020-work-programmes-2016-17